The majority of dresses I make are knee length so when I saw the Reeta dress, I knew this was the pattern that was going to change things for me. The dress is almost retro in style and features a notched collar, side vents and breast pockets with a cute drawstring waist. I love the midi length of the shirt dress as it makes it a great option for Summer but also the colder months, worn with tights and a cardigan.
I had been lusting after the Dahlia and Daisy burgundy rayon/viscose fabric for a while. The fabric has the most beautiful large floral design and the colours scream Autumn to me. I thought it would go really well with the 1970's look of the Reeta dress. The fabric feels absolutely gorgeous! It is so soft and drapes beautifully.
The first thing to remember before cutting into the fabric is that the front pattern piece and it's facing has to be joined together. The pieces are so long that you can completely understand why. I made no adjustments to my dress and just made my size according to the finished garment measurements. The dress came together like a dream and the instructions were so clear and concise.
When sewing the dress together, the part where you need to join the back yokes and notched collar together, was probably the trickiest part of the parttern. Once I had tentatively stitched the pieces together and turned it the right side out, it was like magic and all the seams were completely concealed.
I love the way my Reeta dress has turned out. The way the fabric moves and feels against the skin is amazing. It turned out exactly how I wanted it to!
I hope to make another one using the White Stripes Linen cotton blend fabric. I think it would look gorgeous in linen too and playing with the direction of the stripes for the yoke and pockets would be lovely.
This is the first time I have made a Named Clothing pattern and I am so thrilled with the end result! It is comfortable and so pretty. What more could you want from a dress.