Well I’m back on the Lamazi blog this time with a new blog post featuring both a fabric brand and a pattern company that I haven’t used before. The pattern is the Rosalee Dress by Experimental Space and the fabric is a beautiful viscose from Belgian fabric designers Atelier Jupe.
Lamazi has recently started stocking Atelier Jupe fabrics and when she asked if I would like to use one of their fabrics for my upcoming blog post my answer was, of course, yes. The fabric was a dream to sew with and the print is really striking with a navy blue background. It pressed really well and has enough weight to make it easy to handle but still has a fabulous amount of drape.
I love working with viscose, it is one of my favourite fabrics to sew with and to wear as it naturally has a slight ease, is so fluid and always adds an element of femininity to anything you make with it.
I didn’t have any trouble with pulls in the fabric from pins or my machine needle and I have to admit I didn’t have any fine machine needles and therefore just used a standard universal needle in my machine and it was completely fine.
As mentioned above, the pattern is the Rosalee Dress by Experimental Space also stocked by Lamazi. I had my eye on this dress for a while as the standard version is a maxi dress and I really love the cut out feature in the back bodice.
However, as the weather is turning cooler I was leaning more towards knee length dresses for when the tights come back out. So I decided to make the dress knee length and whilst perfect for summer, due to it being sleeveless, it also lends itself well to being worn with a cardigan or cropped jacket.
I made size Ava which is the smallest size and my measurements are B33”, W26” and H36.5” and I think I probably could have gone up a size on the skirt but not in the bodice as it’s actually quite roomy. The bodice is unlined with facings and you use the burrito method to sew the armholes and the back V. The waistband is also faced and machine stitched therefore, unless you want to, you don’t need to hand sew any part of this dress as it can all be done on the machine. I just overlocked the hem and turned it over rather than hand stitching it.
The dress also features a side zip and front facing pockets which are incredibly roomy.
The instructions were really easy to follow and I didn’t make any adjustments at all with my quick unpick only coming out once during the whole process.
I am really happy with my dress and am looking forward to wearing it during the last of the warmer weather but also during the cooler months as I think it's going to be really versatile.
Anyway that’s all for now. Until next time.